URA Coaches Code of Conduct
As a coach in Unionville Recreation Association, I understand:
- That my responsibilities as a youth coach are of great importance and that my actions have the potential to significantly influence the young athletes whom I coach.
- That many children participate in sports for numerous different reasons, and that the number one reason is to have fun!
- That as a youth coach I am obligated to honor the games rules, opponents, officials, teammates and self, and to teach players to do the same.
- That violations of the following codes will jeopardize my privilege to coach in Unionville Recreation Association and could result in immediate termination of my privilege to coach in Unionville Recreation Association
By participating as a Unionville Recreation Association coach:
A. I will create an appropriate environment for our children that:
- Focuses on safety, fun, skill development, and education.
- Has a positive lasting impact on the children of our community.
- Promotes building character and learning life skills.
- De-emphasizes a win at all costs attitude.
- Is fair, consistent, and best meets the emotional and physical needs of all children.
- Builds a culture where winning is not defined by outcome of competition, but by the individual needs of all the children.
B. I will act responsibly and assure that:
- Players are properly supervised by me or a designated league approved assistant at all times during practice and or games.
- I provide playing time for every child that is consistent with the rules outlined by each specific sport or division.
- I properly educate players the importance of teamwork, effort, having fun, and playing fair while properly instructing age appropriate fundamentals and skills.
- I provide players with the best education, instruction and organization possible by attending required meetings, clinics and certifications.
- I am familiar with the objectives of the youth sports program. I strive to achieve these objectives and communicate them to my players and their parents.
- I cooperate with the administrator of our organization in the enforcement of rules and regulations, and I will report irregularities that violate sound competitive practices.
- I provide a healthy and safe environment for my players, which are in accordance with my leagues safety procedures. I will provide safe instruction and use of playing equipment.
C. I will display appropriate behavior:
- I will treat each player, opposing coach, official, parent or administrator with respect and dignity, and refrain from using profanity, intimidation tactics and inappropriate language.
- I will uphold the authority and follow the direction set by the Unionville Recreation Association as a whole as well as the authority and direction of the individual program administrators.
- I will uphold the authority of officials who are assigned to the contests in which I coach, and I will assist them in every way to conduct fair and impartial competitive contests.
- I will display appropriate behavior towards, and in the presence of, children.
- I will never coach under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- I will never initiate or participate in any form of verbal (including e-mail) or physical assault on any staff, volunteer, parent or child.
- I understand that physical abuse of any kind will be dealt with via local law enforcement.
COACHES CODE OF CONDUCT - RESULTS OF VIOLATIONS
Violations of the Coaches Code of Conduct will result in any or all of the following:
- Written documentation
- Advisory consultation
- Disciplinary action up to and including termination of coaching privileges
- Referral of issue to proper law enforcement agencies as deemed appropriate.
The following data outlines the general disciplinary procedures of the Unionville Recreation Association:
Conduct Codes A and B
Any violation under Codes A and/or B will result in investigation and consultation by the appropriate URA Board.
A second violation under Codes A and/or B will result in suspension of the coach’s privilege to manage/coach URA youth sports programs will accompany.
A third violation under Codes A and/or B will result in termination of the coach’s privilege to
Manage / coach Unionville Recreation Association youth sports programs
Conduct Code C
Any violation under Code C will result in will result in investigation and consultation by the appropriate URA Board. Suspension of the coach’s privilege to manage/coach and attend URA sports programs will accompany.
A second violation under Code C will result in termination of the coach’s privilege to manage / coach and attend URA youth sports programs.
The Unionville Recreation Association reserves the right to take appropriate disciplinary action involving any coach in violation of the code of conduct. The Unionville Recreation Association also reserves the right to expedite the disciplinary steps listed above should the Board deem the actions warrant.
With my electronic signature, which I voluntarily affix to this contract, I acknowledge that I have read, understand, and will fulfill the promises made herein. I understand failure to do so could result in immediate termination of coaching privileges in the Unionville Recreation Association.